I love snow (I know that may sound odd, coming from one who typically loves sunshine and warmth) - but the world is so beautiful with a thick blanket of white, and the stillness is soothing to the soul. We received more snow than we have in almost 20 years, and even had a white Christmas! That was a first for the kids and a very memorable experience.
We had a wonderful Christmas day. While having brunch with a few family members, we looked outside and watched the snow as it began to fall - again. Due to heavy snows we didn't leave the house for several days - and it was heavenly. We played games, read, drank lots of hot chocolate, played outside, worked on projects, finished Christmas presents (homemade gifts are my favorite kind), watched Christmas movies and just enjoyed being together - with family as well as with friends.
Our winter break at a glance . . .
It's just not Christmas without making our traditional "painted" cookies.
The kids - enjoying the first snowfall
About 2 weeks before the first snow, Rachel and Tanner made a bet with Jessica and Reed that there would be snow on the ground on Dec. 20th. To Reed and Jessica, they figured it was a pretty sure bet, because we typically never have snow this early in the winter season. However . . . much to their dismay the ground was covered with it, and it was actually the day of one of our biggest snow storms. As a result, they fixed crepes for everyone for breakfast the next morning :0)
Tanner somehow got the idea that if you wore your pajamas to bed inside out, it would snow. So . . . For the last two weeks he's worn his pajamas AND his underwear (for good measure) inside out - with fairly good results I must say! I don't think he's going to be wearing them right side out any time soon.
Reed, Jess, Rachel and Tanner were looking for an excuse to go out in the snow one Sunday evening, so they decided to go caroling. They received a welcome reception from all of our friends and neighbors, and came home with full bellies, lots of smiles and great memories.
Chad was right in the thick of it during one neighborhood snowball fight . . .
Reed - making a snow angel
Wishing you a happy holiday season!
6 comments:
Hey Tanner - I heard that if you wear your underwear on your head, the temperature will rise 20 degrees! Try it out! (If you wear underwear on your head to church, palm trees will start growing in your front yard. I'm serious!)
Maybe I'll try Tanner's idea out on Okinawa. I haven't checked your blog for awhile since I thought you were maybe doing a yearly update. Kidding! We love to see you guys and the fun pictures. We went caroling, too. But it was 70 degrees and warm. . . Thankfully, the temp dropped after Christmas and we spent all week being lazy--reading, playing, going to parks all bundled up. We miss the Guisinger's. Glad you had a great Christmas!
We miss you guys here in Okinawa.
We have a blog going. www.leifsonfamilies.blogspot.com
What a storybook Christmas! Love it! Please send some snow here. Or maybe just send Tanner and his inside-out/backwards clothing. Either would be a treat.
Ok, this is the cutest post, however what has happened to the Guisinger family since Christmas? Hmmm, I wonder. Looking forward to an update :)
Wow, your kids are so big. It was just yesterday that Brother Lyver was thumping Reed on the back of the head during sharing time! Anyway your kids are gorgeous. Hope you guys are doing well. SherRae Lewis
Post a Comment